Getting the whole family together is a special occasion, and a memory to be cherished. A natural setting, such as a park, provides a great backdrop for a family photo shoot, and a perfect alternative to the studio. Choose one of your favourite locations, or join me in my studio to create some special memories of you and your family.
WHERE DO WE START?
Your portrait session should be a reflection of your family. Before our session we can discuss your expectations, ideas, and goals for our session. Preparation and communication are the keys to a successful portrait session, so make sure to share all your ideas and concerns with me during our consultation.
WHERE WILL OUR PHOTOGRAPHY SESSIONS TAKE PLACE?
Finding the perfect location is an important part of planning for the photo shoot of your dreams. I have my favourite places, and usually make a recommendation based on your personality and style, but I always welcome your location ideas. I’d love to know if there is a place that is sentimental to your family so we can discuss our options and plan the best location to suit your family. Choose one of your favourite locations, or join me in my studio to create some special memories of you and your family. Does your family love to be outside? There are so many options when it comes to outdoor photo sessions! Does your family love to be out in nature? If so, I have some beautiful spots for that! For Studio sessions we can schedule your session at any time during the day and work around nap times for little ones.
WHAT TO WEAR?
COLOR IS IN! This photo shoot is meant to capture your family, including individuality and style. Helpful tips to keep in mind when choosing outfits:
- Think coordinating, not matching. Incorporate colors and patterns that fit well together.
- Don’t be afraid of color! Choose a few neutral colors, and then add a few bright accents to your outfits. Accessories such as scarves, necklaces, and clothing layers are great for this.
- Wear well fitting clothing. Not too tight, and nothing baggy. If you can’t walk in those pants, don’t wear them!
- No logos please. To keep the look timeless, try to avoid trendy clothing with words or logos.
- Always feel free to text or email me your clothing options laid out before our session!
HOW DO I GET MY KIDS TO PARTICIPATE?
- Get your kids excited for the session and let them know how much fun it will be, but no need to over prepare them or add too much pressure for “best behaviour”
- Kids pick up on your stress, so stay cool, even when they don’t
- Our goal is to capture their true expressions, and keeping it light and fun is essential to that.
- Our best behaved children (and adults for that matter) are usually those that are well fed before our session. Feel free to bring treats to reward good behaviour during our session!
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER OUR SESSION?
This is where it all comes together! You’ll come into the studio to view all of your best images. All products are custom made for your family, so we’ll go through the images while I’m there to offer guidance and make sure all of your questions are answered. You’ll place your order and leave the studio with excitement and confidence about your order!
WHAT TIME OF DAY IS GOOD FOR A LOCATION SESSION?
As a photographer, I am an expert in finding the best light source in any and all daylight condition, however, as an artist, I much prefer scheduling portrait sessions 90 minutes before sunset – also known as “golden hour.”
But there is a big reason why photographers always insist on photographing subjects during this particular time.
Direct sunlight in the middle of the day casts the harshest and strongest shadows, resulting in unpleasant squints and dark shadows on faces. It’s not a flattering look, and to even those that don’t understand the lighting rules of photography, it’s quite obvious that a mid-day shoot in broad sunlight doesn’t look ideal. In order to get stunning portraits, I pay the most attention to where the light is hitting my subjects. Soft, even light – preferably with some golden ray backlight filtering through – is what I am always searching for.
In order to get that soft light and golden glow, I tend to schedule most of my outdoor family portrait sessions within 90 minutes of sunset.
If you have a location you love, please let me know. If a place has special significance for you we should definitely photograph there! Likewise, I have a few locations up my sleeve so let me know what sort of setting you are after and we will chat about possible locations.
HOW DOES A FAMILY PHOTOSHOOT WORK?
Family photoshoots are about getting natural expressions. I include your formal poses “all looking at the camera” and your more natural/candid poses.
WHAT IF THE WEATHER IS UNSUITABLE ON THE DAY OF OUR SHOOT?
Yes we live in Melbourne and the weather can be challenging at times. But it can also change very quickly and turn out to be a beautiful day. I will stay in touch with you the day before your session to discuss.
HOW LONG WILL MY FAMILY SESSION TAKE?
Family sessions last approximately 60 minutes but always allow some extra time should we go over. Please do not schedule any visitors close to your family session time. Your session needs to be relaxing and not rushed to get somewhere.
HOW MUCH IS A FAMILY PHOTO SESSION?
Please refer to the pricing page